Subject: Re: Files Via Email.
From: Paul Reece <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: 14 Sep 93 10:54:04 GMT+10

> >         Do you really think this comment was necessary ?  Every person that
> > is on the net has done something boneheadish at sometime in their life...

Exactly - We're only human after all...

>
> No, but I want to make sure it stops...  IE:  It's the first and last time.

Fair enough, but don't flame people in the process... That's not going to fix
anything - What was that old saying?? - "Two wrongs don't make a right"

> >     I agree that an archive of that size should not have been posted to the
> > list but I am sure it was not done just to cause you problems.  I also
> > disagree w/your statement that if you want to submit something that it should
> > go on Aminet, yes it should go on aminet if it is some 400k final prog. but
> > what about when progs. are reasonably sized (<15k) and are not really
> > finished products yet or of aminet quailty but may have some benefit to the
> > Amos list ?
>
> Quite simply, files are NOT to be sent via Email around Usenet sites.  And a
> LOT of people are on Usenet sites that connect while not in schools/etc.  And
> I think that *ALL* files should go to Aminet.  So what if they're small, they
> could be of use to ANYONE.  Ship it to Michael, but don't put it in here, it
> only reaches us, what about the thousands of others who constantly LOOK for
> "just what they need" only to find it went thru here and not Aminet.

Who says that Michael would want these files to his personal account all of
the time???  He has a life too, I'm sure ;-)

There is ABSOLUTELY NO LAW that tells us that we can't send programs via Email

The internet is a democracy, not a dictatorship.  I will continue to send
files over email... It doesn't hurt anyone!!

> >        Slow down... there is no reason to go and start crying to admins, it
> > was a simple mistake... it was not some big conspiracy against you.
>
> Trust me, I don't go crying to admins.  If you'll recall, an Admin complained
> about that file being sent.  I just converse with the group of admins I know
> and things will get done if need be.

Here we go again....  I'm sure that admins have more things to worry about
than the problems of one person...  WHY DON'T YOU JUST FORGET THE WHOLE THING?

>
> >     Come on Alex I am sure you have better things to do than worry
> > about a simple mistake... again I just want to state that I am sorry that
> > this has caused you so much trouble and I agree that it should not have
> > happened but it was a mistake and I think that you were just being way
> > too hard on Scott...
>
> I think it would have been better had Michael included a note in the welcome
> message stating all files are to be sent to Aminet either direct or Emailed
> to HIM only.  Not on the list.

Why don't you ask him to???

> Alex...  (Thats the way it SHOULD be.)

Thats the way that HITLER would want the internet to be.

Well, if you don't like things like this, the why don't you leave the list???
I don't think that many others were worried by the problem at all... and
anyway, if you are not meant to send files over mail, why do so many programs
support it???

I have to agree totally with Mike.  You were far too hard on Scott....  Also,
you must think about those people whom don't have internet access at all, only
email......

IMHO there should be an optional list that you can subscribe to that people
can send programs to.. OR an FTP site for AMOS programs ONLY....

Oh, and Alex, did you end up looking at Scott's programs???

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Reece                                  [email-masked]
                                         [email-masked]
Student & Network Assistant (UNIX)              [email-masked]
Claremont College, Tasmania, Australia.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---AMIGA 500 - 2 MB RAM - 2 DRIVES - KICKSTART 2.05 & 1.3 - ONLY AMIGA!!---
---------------------------------------------------------------------------